[Paranoia] Zero Power (no volume) files produced when ide=nodma option is used to boot kernel

Douglas A. Seifert doug at dseifert.net
Wed Apr 13 13:03:25 PDT 2005

Hello,

I am running release 9.8 of cdparanoia

# cdparanoia --version
cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Due to a bug in my mainboard chipset, I must boot the kernel using the
ide=nodma flag.  However, when I do this, when I rip tracks from a cd,
the resulting wav files have no volume (if that makes sense).  They seem
to be the correct length, but if you play them, you get nothing but
silence for the duration of the song.  If I boot without using the
ide=nodma flag, ripping works normally.

I was wondering if this was a known bug or if there is something I can
do to get ripping to work when booting using ide=nodma.  FYI, running
custom 2.6.7 kernel with special EPIA patches on a EPIA M10000 mainboard.

# uname -a
Linux izzy 2.6.7-epia1 #8 Fri Apr 8 10:10:42 PDT 2005 i686 VIA Nehemiah
CentaurHauls GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Doug Seifert