[Paranoia] CD Ripping Uncertainty Principle?

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 28 15:44:52 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 15:32 -0500, Alec Wood wrote:
> Thus spake Monty:
> >
> > Older versions of Paranoia (version 2) would attempt to track
> > 'unstable' bits in individual samples and implemented 'loose' matching
> > to accomidate this.  Paranoia 3 didn;t do it this way primarily
> > because it caused bad reads on some drives.  The dangers of heuristics
> > :-)
>
> Couldn't one just test to see if the drive was a Plextor and use this
> feature conditionally?  Or at least get some C2 reporting?  Seems like
> there must be enough paranoia users with Plextors to make such an effort
> worthwhile.  Hmmm, maybe I've got myself a new hobby...

In theory, yes.  In practice, paranoia doesn't really try to figure out
a whole command set for a drive -- it just identifies the commands
needed for reading.

--
        Peter

Hardware simply does not work like the manual says and no amount
of Zen contemplation will ever make you at one with a 3c905B ethernet card.
                -- Alan