[Paranoia] Getting paranoia to quit on CD eject

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 19 10:07:36 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 10:27 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> What I had in mind was either (a) have a signal like usr1 mean skip to
> start of next track and just give up, or (b) putting a limit on how long
> in real time will be spent on a track before punting to the next.

Ick, anything with signals is bad.  This is a library, after all.  What
if the calling appliation wants to use SIGUSR1 itself?

> These are not mutually exclusive, nor the only useful ways to tackle the
> problem. But options to quit after N errors (or try less hard on that
> track) and/or do the same after some elapsed clock time might be generally
> useful.

Yeah, that's my thought.  But really, I'd rather if there were just a
way to let the calling application decide the policy when the situation
occurs.

> The harder any ripping program has to work the less confidence I have
> in the result.

I'm not at all sure what you mean by that.

--
        Peter