[Paranoia] Getting paranoia to quit on CD eject

Douglas Gilbert dgilbert at interlog.com
Wed Oct 13 21:31:53 PDT 2004

Monty wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 11:27:33AM -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 20:41 -0400, Ben Williams wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>When I manually eject a CD while cdparanoia is ripping, cdparanoia
>>>doesn't quit and instead sits and tries to read the CD pretty much
>>>indefinitely (I think it quits eventually). Is there any way to get
>>>paranoia to quit when the CD is manually ejected?
>>
>>Hrm.  There probably is, but it seems a little bit of a weird thing to
>>do.  More likely we should be locking the drive door while we rip...
>

> Actually, some people purposely pull the trick of ejecting the disk
> during a rip and putting it back in as a way of resetting some drives
> that get stuck.  Locking the door breaks that behavior, as does
> aborting on a 'NOT READY' SCSI sense code :-)

Monty,
BTW There is still a bug in the SG_IO ioctl block layer implementation
in the linux kernel 2.6 series (e.g. when /dev/scd0 is used as the
device name). The SCSI status value is returned but not the host or
driver values (i.e. errors detected at the near end or along the wire
are not reported). Hence if one had an external cd reader and the
cable was pulled during the transfer then the transport (e.g. USB,
iee1394, SPI) knows but cdparanoia won't get a sensible error from
the SG_IO ioctl.

Hopefully this problem will soon be addressed.

Doug Gilbert