[Paranoia] CD Ripping Uncertainty Principle?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Oct 7 14:45:14 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 03:20:10PM -0400, Dale E. Martin wrote:
> Also, in this discussion:
> http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/developers/2004-August/009908.html
>
> this statement was made:
> "That's really because cdparanioa isn't bit accurate.  If you use EAC in
> secure more to rip your CDs and you calibrate the drive with accurip first
> you will actually get the exact same track with the exact same MD5 hash
> each time (even if you rip it on different machines/drives).  Assuming
> there were no read errors reported by EAC.  I've verified this myself."
>
> (This was news to me.)

Note that EAC is trusting the drive more than cdparanoia is; there are
plenty of drives for which that isn't true.  If the C2 information
returned by the drive is wrong/fabricated/missing, EAC will never know
there was a problem.

On drives that return trustworthy C2 information, EAC does use the
information effectively.

Monty