[Paranoia] CD Ripping Uncertainty Principle?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Oct 2 14:03:37 PDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Nils Chr. Framstad wrote:

> So -- at least for Plextor, but for an increasing number of players as
> well -- there is room for improvement by incorporating better
> communication with the drive? (And at the risk of committing heresy:
> given that one has a particular drive, is there then better ripping
> software than cdparanoia around?)

There is software which will give more consistent results, but they are
not necessarily more correct. I don't know how that fits "better" for you.

I want to know if the rip is getting problems, I want the most probably
correct result, but I don't want to feel warm and fuzzy when the read
wasn't clean, if I know there's a problem I can try other readers, speeds,
etc. Even other copies of the material if that's what it takes and I care
that much.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc