[paranoia] 'colorbook' fs - porting cdparanoia _into_ the kernel!

Dave Lewis lewis at synergymicro.com
Fri Mar 12 10:47:05 PST 2004

>Mikko Nummelin wrote:
>
>>  I just had an idea, has anyone thought of this before. Today, it is
>>  so that almost any CD and DVD can be read in such a way that it is
>>  mounted as a particular filesystem and then read by read(2) system
>>  call. But not audio CD's. They have to be specially ripped with
>>  cdda2wav or cdparanoia! What about coding an additional file system
>>  (perhaps backporting a lots of cdparanoia stuff), say 'colorbook' for
>>  referring to the audio CD standards and with that kernel, ripping an
>>  audio CD could be done in the following way:
>>
>>  # mount /dev/cdrom -t colorbook /mnt/cdrom
>>
>>  # cd /mnt/cdrom
>>
>>  # ls track01.wav track02.wav track03.wav track04.wav
>>
>>  # cp track*.wav /home/<user>/cdrip/
>
>I strongly suspect that the Linux kernel developers would say that that
>kind of thing belongs in userland, I would agree with them.
>
>What I would suggest, is that the functionality should be built into
>the shell. By 'shell' I don't just mean bash etc, I also mean graphical
>shells like KDE's knonquoeur file manager and the Gnome equvelent.
>
>The end result would be the same, in that ordinary users would be able
>to drag .wav files from an audio cd to a directory elsewhere, but it
>would be achieved without bloating the kernel, and would also work on
>non Linux systems.

Won't work -- the data on a CD is NOT in .WAV format (or .AIFF either). Each
16-bit sample is represented by two groups of 14 bits interleaved with bits
from several previous and succeeding samples. It's called Cross-Interleaved
Reed-Solomon Code. The objective is to correct any single-bit errors, and
reduce the probability of multiple-bit errors by spreading the bits that
represent each sample over a wide area. A scratch or spot, instead of
klobbering several bits from one sample, will instead affect one bit from
each of several samples, which can be corrected. The whole purpose of
CDParanoia is to convert this interleaved stream of data and error-correction
bits into a series of audio samples.