[paranoia] 'colorbook' fs - porting cdparanoia _into_ the kernel!

Chris Pitchford cdparanoia at intrepid.cx
Tue Mar 9 07:59:32 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Dave Lewis wrote:

> >  > On Mar 8, 2004, at 4:43 PM, Mikko Nummelin wrote:
> >---
> >    Note that audio tracks are `exported' by cdfs because they are on the
> >    CD. However, cdfs will make no attempt to correct reading errors while
> >    reading from scratched disks, to solve misalignment, frame jitter, loss
> >    of streaming, etc. You should use cdparanoia or cdda2wav if you
> >    encounter these problems.
> >---
> >
> >This is a bit of a linux only thing I suppose, but someone could crowbar
> >cdparanoia into it somewhere surely?
>
>    Or -- extract the raw data into a file, then allow cdparanoia to process the
> file? Or, in the Unix tradition, allow data to be piped in and out of
> cdparanoia.

for rereading and comparing areas of the disk as part of its error
correction. Rewinding standard in is a) not really in spec and b) unlikely
to give you a better read the 2nd time round ;)

cdparanoia on a raw file would suffer the same problems. It would have to
sit in the driver code or alternatively be called to read the drive itself
and dump the data into memory for processing by the driver. Either way its
going to a take a fair bit of work on both parts I'd imagine