[paranoia] cdparanoia producing silent files.

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 15:54:40 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 15:19, Mikko Nummelin wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 tow21 at cam.ac.uk wrote:
> Try to re-build CDParanoia from sources as it is possible that your
> installation is corrupt. Try to make a static build, i.e. after gunzipping
> and untarring the package, do
>
> $ ./configure && make all STATIC=TRUE
>
> and try to rip the cd with the static binary resulting. If that works,
> then find the old paranoia libraries, delete them and do a complete
> dynamic build (also re-building and re-installing the libraries).

This sounds like particularly bizarre advice.  Is there any reason at
all to suspect that this problem is corrupt or miscompiled libraries?
The program runs, all the symbols are found correctly; in almost all
cases if there's a corrupt library file, you're going to see the program
not run.  If it's a compilation issue, well, chances are the compiler he
has installed is the same one it was built with.  That means there'll
likely be the same bugs in the output.

Another interesting point is that he's tried this with ide-scsi and
ide-cd, on 2.4.24, 2.6.0, and 2.6.2.  the scsi and cooked-ioctl
interfaces are completely independent code in libcdda_interface, so it's
pretty unlikely that they'd both be corrupt, and still manage to do the
same thing.

I'd be really amazed if rebuilding it alone solves any issues at all.

Now, that being said, there are some things that would be interesting to
see.

Let's start from the top, and try to see what some of the output is from
the CD drive.  First, grab the source from
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/download/cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8.src.tgz

and do:

zarniwoop:~$ tar xzf cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8.src.tgz
zarniwoop:~$ cd cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8
zarniwoop:~$ ./configure && make debug

Then stick this in a file (let's call it "gdb.commmands") in that
directory:

break callback
run 1 /dev/null
disable 1
break scsi_interface.c:219
x/xg (sg_hd+36)
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+8
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+16
x/xg (sg_hd+36)
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+8
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+16
x/xg (sg_hd+36)
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+8
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+16
x/xg (sg_hd+36)
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+8
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+16
x/xg (sg_hd+36)
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+8
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+16
x/xg (sg_hd+36)
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+8
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+16
x/xg (sg_hd+36)
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+8
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+16
x/xg (sg_hd+36)
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+8
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+16
x/xg (sg_hd+36)
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+8
x/xg (sg_hd+36)+16

Then, while the box is in 2.4.24 and you're using ide-scsi, and with a
CD in the drive which you know shows this failure, do:

gdb --command=gdb.commands ./paranoia

And paste the output (which will be rather long) into your mail client.
Keep this source and build tree around for a while, I find it likely
that to solve this we'll need it again.

--
        Peter

One thing that writing a real OS instead of writing about it teaches you
is that 99% of OS theory is utter crud
		-- Alan Cox, from dwmw2's memory.