[Paranoia] First-track ripping oddity

CJ Kucera xiph
Tue Jun 29 15:03:46 PDT 2004

<20040629191245.38398.qmail at web40304.mail.yahoo.com>

Jack Pistachio wrote:
> Have you tried without forcing the cd drive speed?

Tried that on your suggestion, that doesn't seem to have done it.
However...

> This does indeed sound like a firmware issue and I wonder
> if the drive isn't interpreting a cdparanoia cmd well.

Well, I managed to get a firmware update in place on the drive,
despite the dire warnings in the included readme that the update
would melt my drive and kidnap my family if I tried it on an OEM
drive, which mine seems to be, and it looks like everything's peachy
now.  So, moral of the story: if you're using a Compaq CRD-8322B
drive, upgrade to firmware 1.12.  As finding this firmware update
was something of a chore, I'll describe here so Google can hopefully
pick it up.

This Errata from Mandrake has some currently-valid links, and while
it doesn't address the problem I had, it seems to be related:
http://www.chguy.com/mir/LGcdrom-fried.html

The driver's at http://us.lgservice.com/
"Product Support" -> "Device Driver" -> "CD-ROM"
The description on that page says that it's a 1.11 firmware update,
but it'll actually bring the drive up to 1.12.

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

-CJ

--
WOW: Kakistocracy        |  "The ships hung in the sky in much the same
apocalyptech.com/wow     |    way that bricks don't." - Douglas Adams,