[paranoia] cdparanoia wish list: I'm doing some development

davidjoerg at web.de davidjoerg at web.de
Fri Jan 30 14:51:36 PST 2004

>As I understand it, by using SCSI
> emulation, you have much better control over the device. Using ATAPI
> commands is not very good since you don't get good error correction data
> back from some drives. Also, I thought SCSI emulation was neccessary for
> burning. I'd enjoy it very much if you post what you learn about
> alternative low level drive access methods, and if there is a new
> interface in 2.6 for CD burning drives.

You can burn CDs with Linux 2.4.22 and 2.6.X using
ATAPI implementation of these Kernels and cdrecord > 2.0.

ATAPI uses SCSI commandos but it just sends them
through other interfaces/busses. I don't know why you
should have better error correction with ide-scsi emulation
because ide-scsi is just a hack to use ATAPI devices. ide-scsi
is or was partially broken in Linux 2.6.