[paranoia] New mobo == slower cdparanoia

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Wed Jan 28 08:02:19 PST 2004

Hey everyone,

        Before a few weeks ago, I had an Athlon CPU/VIA chipset
motherboard with Ultra66 IDE channels.  I had a Compaq CD-ROM hooked up
to the VIA IDE channels, and a Promise controller for my hard drives.

        I recently upgraded to an Athlon XP and a new VIA chipset
motherboard.  Now, my hard drives are on the faster, newer VIA channels
and my CD-ROM is on a Promise controller.

        Other than that nothing has changed - same exact
drives/cables/etc.

        However, cdparanoia is a lot slower and less reliable than
before.  The first combination would rip and encode an average length CD
in maybe 10-20 minutes with max paranoia enabled (-z).  I only ever saw
'-', '+', or '!' when the media had been scratched/abused.

        The new configuration stinks - cdparanoia feels like its taking
real-time to rip.  It's easily getting hung up on tracks.  Tons of '-',
'+' for every song on every CD I've tried ripping, even new and pristine
discs.

        I'm using ide-scsi emulation on 2.4.23, and was before as well.
Is there a chance it's a problem with the Promise card?  Any suggestions
for improving this non-optimal situation?

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.