[paranoia] ide-cd or icd-scsi with kernel 2.6.3?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Feb 23 20:39:18 PST 2004

Peter Jones wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 02:18, TB wrote:
>
>>Please reply directly to me; I'm not on the list.
>>
>>ide-scsi is deprecated in 2.6 series kernel.  However, the same CD track with my
>>Lite-on 52x CD rips in :14 seconds with ide-scsi and :19 seconds with ide-cd.
>>
>>Should I continue using the deprecated ide-scsi interface as advised by the FAQ?
>

> For now, yes.
>

>>Will an updated cdparnoia eventually cease favoring ide-scsi?
>

> I'm not in a position of authority, so I can't say for sure, but I'm
> actively working on a patch to switch to the new APIs presented by
> ide-cd.  Shouldn't take a lot of work or time, but then again I don't
> have a lot to spare :/

For writing audio, the ide-cd is better, since it can use DMA with the
2.6 kernel and has far less overhead. But I have not had reproducible
results with readcd, so ide-scsi is still desirable there. Actually 2.4
might be the path of least astonishment.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   CTO TMR Associates, Inc