[Paranoia] Anyone here?

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 25 11:52:27 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 09:44 +1000, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> Peter Jones wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 17:58 +1000, James A wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Is there anyone on the list? I just subscribed, and it's awfully quiet...
> >

> > Yeah, there's a few of us.  If you decide you want to be helpful or
> > something, try the packages at
> > http://people.redhat.com/pjones/cdparanoia/ on a 2.6 box ;)
> >
> > They use SG_IO instead of ide-scsi+/dev/sg, so at some point the changes
> > there are going to work their way into the main tree.
>
> Peter,
> Interesting. If you have problems with the SG_IO interface via
> the block device node that doesn't occur via the sg device node
> please contact me with the details.

I haven't noticed any real issues so far along those lines.  The only
thing that's a serious problem is that on some USB drives, bio_map_user
fails to allocate the buffer, but I think if I just put the buffer size
back to something low (like older cdparanoia had it) it'll work just
fine.  I'm pretty sure this happens with the block dev as well as with
sg.

That being said, I'm not 100% sure what's going on regarding Joel
Konkle-Parker's ATAPI drive, but it could well be the same thing.

So I should probably put up a modified version to try smaller reads.  In
the meantime, I'm going to send a patch to the .tar.gz I pointed him to.
I'll post it to the other thread.

--
        Peter