[paranoia] poor quality & glitches

Mikko Nummelin mnummeli at cc.hut.fi
Fri Oct 31 03:18:11 PST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> It really depends on the firmware. Copy protections that are not compliant
> with the Redbook (most are not) rely on the way most CD drives firmwares are
> implemented. Some old CD drives are able to extract digital audio from
> protected discs, and some recent drives (including my plextor CD-RW drive)
> are not. Just try your luck with different hardware if yours fails.

A few things I should ask about that Plextor and its ripping capabilities:

What is the model?

What happens if you use PlexTools in Microsoft Windows and remember also
to check the box "Enable single session" before ripping? My experience and
what others have told show that this often is enough to circumvent Cactus
Data Shield. PlexTools nevertheless reports of various errors which it has
had to correct.