[paranoia] poor quality & glitches - all tracks on CD show unreported loss of streaming

Adam Hardy emacs at cyberspaceroad.com
Thu Oct 23 03:01:12 PDT 2003

On 10/22/2003 08:33 PM Mikko Nummelin wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Adam Hardy wrote:
>
>>>I think the CD is protected by Cactus Data Shield. Anyway, if you put it
>>>in while using Windows, remember to press the Shift key for at least a
>>>minute to prevent autostart. If you already have made a mistake and got
>>>the malicious programs to your hard disk, you should carefully examine the
>>>registry.
>
>>>One question, are you using SCSI-emulation on your CD-drive? If the
>>>answer is yes, you should see
>
>>>http://www.xiph.org/archives/paranoia-dev/0112.html
>
>>>, i.e. try to alter the ripping command by hacking d->read_audio to
>>>scsi_read_D8 on scsi_interface.c
>
>>I don't believe I am using SCSI emulation. Is that a kernel option? This
>>is moving into the realm of rocket science for me.
>
> It is a kernel option (for example "hdc=ide-scsi") and used widely in
> Linux with CD-RW:s.
>
>>I'm also not even sure what make the old CD drive is that I am using. I
>>doubt it's Plextor - which it would have to be to take advantage of this
>>hack, right?
>
> No, that applies to many SCSI-emulated CDROM:s. There are different
> SCSI-reading commands which are not equivalent with each other. In case of
> copy-protected CD:s this might turn up decisive.

OK, I think I can manage to recompile my kernel. I have a choice of
machines though - both only have CDR drives on them. I have a CDRW but
it's on a windows machine. I don't know if you know such details, but
which would be a better choice - the one with an old CDR or a newer one
with a CDR+DVD?

It all seems a bit much for one CD but stupidly I claimed I could rip
any CD, so I have to save face!