[paranoia] poor quality & glitches - all tracks on CD show unreported loss of streaming

Adam Hardy emacs at cyberspaceroad.com
Tue Oct 21 15:45:58 PDT 2003

Hi All
I've been using cdparanoia for months now for ripping several hundred
cds. I'm trying to rip a new CD now and during cdparanoia's run on
making the wav files, it reports +++++ continuously for every song.

This is using the latest 9.8 version under linux.

Anyway the resulting wav files have something that sounds like a kind of
tick or click or tut every 10 seconds or so - I'm not sure how to
describe it, but it's some sort of error in the ripping obviously.

I'm running cdparanoia with the -z option that forces it not to skip any
errors, but I guess it doesn't help. I've tried it with the -Z option
too but with no luck.

The CD has some stupid virus on it to load in Windows and stop ripping,
but that shouldn't affect me like this, should it?

BTW I get worse results with cdda2wav. And on my newer PC with a newer
cd rom drive, it takes about 5 times longer.

Can anyone give me some help here?

Thanks
Adam