[paranoia] cd unreadable

Adam Hardy emacs at cyberspaceroad.com
Wed Nov 12 10:13:10 PST 2003

On 11/12/2003 05:34 PM Mikko Nummelin wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Adam Hardy wrote:
>>cdparanoia -vsQ
>>
>>"Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
>>         Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
>>                 CDROM sensed: ATAPI compatible TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1612
>>
>>004: Unable to read table of contents header
>>
>>Unable to open disc.  Is there an audio CD in the drive?"
>

> If it is the same drive which also failed in the earlier experiments,
> perhaps you cannot do anything but get it ripped somewhere else with a
> drive equipped with better hardware and firmware.

This is a 6 month old DVD-R / CD-R. I have another older CD-R (a Sony)
that also doesn't read the table of contents header.

Actually I just tried it again (just so that it would print the CD brand
  and model) and it worked! Strange.

I think something must have happened with the operating system because
now the cddb.pl perl script runs as well. But this is only with the old
Sony, not the newer DVD-R.