[paranoia] poor quality & glitches

Adam Hardy emacs at cyberspaceroad.com
Sat Nov 1 11:00:18 PST 2003

On 10/30/2003 11:39 PM Mikko Nummelin wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Adam Hardy wrote:
>>are you basically saying that this Cactus Data Shield really works?
>>I haven't seen the songs on this CD up on gnutella, which I just
>>checked, so perhaps this is the case.

> This is certainly not the case. In some CD-RW:s it is really up to
> (bad) firmware, but for example I have 5 different CD-ROM:s, of which one
> is CD-RW, one is DVD, one is CD-RW combo and two are "ordinary" CD-ROM:s.
> Of these, both DVD and combo which are from LG are capable to surpass
> Cactus Data Shield without any problems, the Plextor CDRW is capable to do
> it in Windows with PlexTools and in Linux with cdparanoia (but that
> requires tweaking with different types of toc reading and read commands).
> The other two CD-ROM:s are old and crap. They _cannot_ rip CDS-protected
> media!

that has a CD-R / DVD combo, so you were right about it depending on the
CD drive.

This is with the -P option. It is however extremely slow - possibly 5
times slower, and the "unreported loss of streaming / other error in
read" +'s keep coming, as well as some 'e's too now.

Is this -P option going to be included into the cdparanoia source at
some point?