[paranoia] Inconsistent hard disk activity

Danny D dannyd at hageshii.dnsalias.net
Thu Jan 16 15:06:29 PST 2003

Monty wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 07:06:28AM -0600, Danny D wrote:
>

>>Perhaps that's not the best title for this question, but I dunno how
>>else to phrase it...
>>
>>I like to rip some CD's with the command:
>>
>>cdparanoia -Y -X -W --force-cdrom-device /dev/scd0 "1-" - | oggenc -o
>>foo.ogg -Q -b 128
>>
>>I have two CD drives:
>> /dev/scd0  IDE0.slave  HP DVDwriter 200i thingie (which is rad)
>> /dev/scd1  IDE1.master Sony DDU1621 DVD-ROM
>>
>>If I use the first drive, I get fast ripping with almost no hard drive
>>activity.  However, if I use the second drive, ripping is slightly
>>slower and the hard drive is almost constantly going.  Why is this?
>>

>Perhaps your kernel is logging errors to the syslog?

Nah, there are only about three or four messages of the usual sort (an
assortment of the following):

"kernel: sr0: mmc-3 profile: 0h"
"kernel: sr1: mmc-3 profile: 0h"
"kernel: sr0: mmc-3 profile: 8h"
"kernel: sr1: mmc-3 profile: 8h"

r[0,1], of course, depends on which drive I use, and I have no idea
what the hex number is.  Btw, both drives work fine as far as the final
.ogg file is concerned.  It's just that one seems to take a roundabout
way to get there.  Also, the same thing happens if I leave off the pipe
to oggenc and send cdparanoia's output directly to a file.

Also, since I can still use both drives with no problems, this is not a
critical issue by any means.  It's plain old curiousity.  I'd rather use
my Sony drive to rip CD's because I'd rather not 'wear out' the HP drive
on anything other than DVD's.

I'm beginning to think this is more of a IDE-SCSI issue.  Can you tell
me if cdparanoia issues the exact same mmc-3 commands to each drive,
regardless of its type/vendor?  Maybe the kernel has to do some kludgy
workaround for some CD/DVD-readers (as opposed to CD/DVD-writers) which
requires some buffering to disk?  In which, case I'll stop bothering
xiph people about it.

Actually, while writing this email, I've realized that my DVD ripper
program probably behaves the same way.  So it isn't just cdparanoia.  Oh
well, thanks for your time.

dannyd