[paranoia] cdparanoia and HDCD?

Peter Nyhlen pnyhlen at operamail.com
Thu Jan 2 19:48:00 PST 2003

I had an interesting experience the other day.  I was
using cdparanoia from a linux bash shell to rip some CDs
for a friend.  They all ripped perfectly.  There was no
problem ripping or burning any of the tracks.  I did
notice that one CD took an inordinate amount of time to
rip each track, though.  The only thing percular about
this CD is that it was an HDCD (the first I've
knowingly come aross).

My question is:  does cdparanoia take more time to rip
HDCDs?  I thought HDCDs used the standard 16 bit CDDA
format with compressed audio information in the low
order bit.  I would think that cdparanoia would treat
it like any other CD.

As for the compilation disk I made for my friend, the
HDCD information was preserved for each track that came
from the HDCD.