[paranoia] SCSI CD Problems

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Wed Feb 12 13:16:48 PST 2003

I have a system here with a SCSI CDROM that used to work fine with
cdparanoia.  For some reason it's stopped working, possibly as a result of a
kernel upgrade, but really I have no way of telling.  Nothing else has
really changed on the system which might affect this, as far as I can tell.

$ cdparanoia -v -d /dev/scd0 1 /tmp/foo
cdparanoia III release 9.7 (December 13, 1999)
(C) 1999 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/scd0 for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/scd0 for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/scd0 for SCSI interface
                No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd0

(same thing happens with release 9.8)

$ xmcd -dev /dev/scd0

... works as expected and plays CDs, so the CD drive works OK.

xmms will also play CD tracks, and it also works properly.

I'm running Debian GNU/Linux with Linux kernel 2.4.20.  Kernel modules
sr_mod.o and cdrom.o are loaded.

I use cdparanoia with mp3c for my business, and have a customer waiting for
me to generate mp3 files from a CD she sent me.  Any help with this problem
would be greatly appreciated!

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at