[paranoia] many scsi timeout errors

Jack Pistachio jackpistachio at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 07:44:30 PST 2003

I used to be able to rip cd's fine on my fairly new system.
 That was when I had two cdroms: a generic 40x as master
and HP CDWriter 8000+ as slave.  I removed the generic
drive and gave it away.  Since then when I try to rip cds
on the HP drive (which is the one I always used anyway
because it was more reliable), I get many scsi timeout
errors until the drive finally is reset.  The kernel log
shows an interrupt error.  I may have updated my kernel
since it was working but when I went back to the old kernel
still didn't work.  I can successfully rip cds with the
same drive and exact replica of the linux fs on an old
pentium.

Relevant system components:
ga7vrxp mobo w/
via kt333 8233a southbride
hp cdwriter connected to ide1 (hdc)

I'm using scsi emulation but as I recall, ide-cd doesn't
work either.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Is this purely
a kernel problem (i.e. via chipset problem)?

- jackp

Do you Yahoo!?
http://mailplus.yahoo.com