[paranoia] Major cdparanoia wierdness

J. Scott Edwards sedwards at shell2.xmission.com
Tue Dec 9 09:24:21 PST 2003

I have seen a few strange cases (1 disk in maybe 500) where paranoia
could not cope with a certain disk.  It would get 1% in maybe a few hours.
The really strange thing would be that the disk looked fine, no visible
scratches or defects.  I could put another disk in the same drive and it
would read just fine.  And usually I could put that bad disk in another
machine and it would be fine.  My guess was that there was something about
the combination of a certain disk and a certain drive that was
incompatible, but I don't know.

I would also suggest powering the whole machine off for a minute or so and
then try it again.  I have one drive that goes wacky once in a while and I
have to power cycle the machine to get it working again.

-Scott