[paranoia] Major cdparanoia wierdness

Jack Pistachio jackpistachio at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 06:58:52 PST 2003

--- Chris <chris at tech.com.au> wrote:
> But on the 50th disk, half way through, it has slowed to
> absurd
> proportions. It is ripping only about 1% per day! At this
> rate it will take weeks to finish the rip of a single cd.

What symbols does paranoia's progress bar show?  What
condition is the CD in?  Does it do this with all tracks?
The only experience I've had with cds that rip very slowly
have been badly scratched or otherwise damaged cds.
Paranoia continues to try to recover the scratches, pits,
etc until it gets something it feels okay with (for lack of
a better phrase).

> I saw in the FAQ that under Linux for certain drives it
> could be very
> slow, but I didn't see any indication it would vary
> between disk to disk.

I doubt the problem is the drive.

> I'm presuming that there is something a bit dodgy about
> this particular
> disk, but I can't understand how it seems to be actually
> working but so
> slow! I played a track that was ripped at this slow speed
> and it seems
> to be ok.
Even on worse case disk you can get something ok sounding.
That's the beauty of paranoia.  However, it can take
forever.

-jackp