[paranoia] irq timeouts (Was: Re: scsi errors with cdparanoia and ide-scsi)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Sep 15 17:32:46 PDT 2002

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Dexter Filmore wrote:

> I have *exactly* the same problems here with both atapi drives (a Pioneer DVD
> and a Traxdata cd writer) - both won't rip neither as scsi-emulated devs nor
> in atapi mode. syslog looks the same. seems to be a kernel problem, as you
> stated. haven't figured where exactly myself yet. strace outputs didn't shed
> too much light either (or maybe I just don't see what I oughta see, so you
> might strace for yourself and see).
> What's ypur kernel setup liek, and what chipset/ide controller is said device
> attached to?

I have ripped a fair number of CDs using an AOPEN 20x CD-RW in ide-scsi
mode. All late model kernels. I've done a few with Sony and Panasonic on
other systems. I have several SCSI CDs, but I usually use the faster ATAPI
drives.

I did a bunch in the spring using the DMA patch for sound modes, that
worked also, but I'm doing without that while kernel development is going
so fast.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc