[paranoia] can't extract any CD audio

Ian Pilcher pilchman at attbi.com
Wed Oct 23 23:13:53 PDT 2002

zol wrote:

> Oct 24 17:15:15 zozoland kernel: VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00
> dev 89
> Oct 24 17:15:15 zozoland kernel: VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
> Oct 24 17:15:15 zozoland kernel: VP_IDE: not 100%% native mode: will
> probe irqs later
> Oct 24 17:15:15 zozoland kernel: ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed
> for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
> Oct 24 17:15:15 zozoland kernel: VP_IDE: VIA vt8233 (rev 00) IDE
> UDMA100 controller on pci00:11.1

I tend to suspect the VIA chipset.  I've tried 3 different drives on my
system; two of them couldn't rip any data at all when attached to the
VIA IDE controller, and the third gave a '+' (whatever that means) on
every single space.

Every one of them was able to rip just fine when attached to a Promise
Ultra100.  (Note, however, that trying to mount a CD-ROM in a drive
attached to a Promise controller can cause a kernel panic.)