[paranoia] Speeding Up Paranoia a Bit

Danny Cox DCox at SnapServer.com
Fri Oct 18 08:32:47 PDT 2002

Monty,

        I suppose that you already know this, but I tried adding
"-fomit-frame-pointer" to the compile flags for cdparanoia (9.8 from
March 23, 2001), and got an extra 16% or so out of it.

        In this particular case, cdparanoia only printed spaces in it's
progress, so both the drive (a TEAC notebook drive), and the CD were of
exceptionally fine quality.

        I also tried some other things (using pointers into the buffers instead
of buffA[offsetA]), but that didn't seem to buy much.  At that point,
the main time taker is the bit decoding of the flag args.

        I'm still playing around, but don't expect to gain much more without a
major data change perhaps.

        In that vein, roughly how many of the flag arrays actually have bits in
them?  I could count them, of course, but you may know off the top of
your head, and know a better value than my "near perfect" setup is
giving.

        I guess you see where I'm heading: changing the flag array to an array
of struct with char flags instead of the bit fields: a classic
space/time tradeoff.

        At any rate, thanks much for a great program!

Danny