[paranoia] I know I am ugly, but please help me

mikeH mikeH at notnowlewis.co.uk
Mon May 6 06:09:11 PDT 2002

Hi,

I am having some major problems ripping cds!

I have read through the cdparanoia documentation and tried everything
suggested - this is my set up and what I've done so far...

* CD-RW CED-8083B drive on ide1 (hdd)
* VIA K7T266 Pro 2 motherboard
* devfs
* gentoo linux 1.1a

I have tried :

* IDE only kernel
* SCSI kernel with IDE-Cdrom support
* SCSI kernel without IDE-Cdrom support
* cdparanoia with -Z, -Y and -W switches

Each time, the cd drive is detected correctly and the 44 byte wav file
header is written to my hard drive. Then I get the
:-0 smiley, and nothing happens. I've left it for hours on end, and I
get nothing more than the 44 byte header. The cd read light is on
permanently, however I can eject the cd without cdparanoia complaining.

Have you got any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there any more info you'd
like from me (my kernel .config perhaps?)

Many thanks for any help you can give.

MikeH