[paranoia] Making exact audio copies

Chris McCraw fool at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 19 12:28:27 PST 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:10:17PM -0700, bvdpoel at uniserve.com wrote:

> I've made lots of good copies of audio disks using cdparanoia and
> cdrecord. Only problem I have is that the tracks on the new CD are a tad
> longer than the original. This is a minor problem, but I would like my
> copies to match the info used for the cddb database. All (I think) this
> needs is that the track count/length match. Is is possible?

i use cdrdao (which in turn can use cdparanoia) to copy discs;
this ensures that not only are your tracks the right length (are you sure
this isn't occurring?  i've not used cdparanoia-ripped tracks to reburn
audio cd's in a long time, so i have no idea if it is or not) but one
thing that definitely happens using separate tracks and burning track-by-
track with cdrecord is that the intertrack gaps are all set to the same
"standard" length (drive/setting dependent, rather than source-disc
dependent)

cdrdao will make a table of contents listing that reflects the actual
disc in that format.  you can actually either use separate cdparanoia-
ripped tracks with its TOC or let it do the ripping (again, using cdparanoia
or other methods, check its docs) and the burning.

this method has the benefit that cd's where the tracks blend from one to
another without silence will sound right as well.

the cdrdao homepage says this much better than i could:
        http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/index.html

luck++;