[paranoia] scratches...

Hugo van der Merwe s13361562 at bach.sun.ac.za
Tue Jun 4 05:50:44 PDT 2002

[ Um, my excuses, this turned out to be a longish email... ]

I'm having trouble making up my mind. I moved a lot of our CD's over to
my computer as that is by far the most convenient way of listening to
them... I started this a while back, using mp3. Of course, now that Ogg
Vorbis has taken over the world (the world just doens't relize this
yet), I'm reripping them all with Ogg.

With a recent rippings, I've run into a dilemma though. The CD has a
horrible ... "scratch", it's more of a spot really. I've tried cleaning
it with something meant for cleaning glasses, didn't help at all, so
I do believe this "spot" is pysical damage to the CD.

Now, it wasn't there when I last ripped it... this brings the dilemma, I
now have that CD in two formats on my hard drive, mp3 and ogg... can't
bring me to wipe all mp3's though, as the new ripping has one scratched
track. Guess I should just keep that one mp3, but it looks ugly. Grr.

I ripped with my CD writer, that's probably the best ripper I've
seen/used. I even tried giving the "-z" switch without a parameter, to
have it try overnight. When I woke up in the morning, I see:

15/|\dae/|\ 0.0x [-      +e+++++++eeeee+++++    ]

this instead of the previous:
15/|\dae/|\ 1.8x [  e        +++ +++VV+V++++    ]

or before that:
15/|\dae/|\ 0.1x [-           ++++++VVVVVVVV+   ]
 - I think that was with my reader, not my writer. ;)

Now I was quite happy, as I thought "e" means it did correct the error,
that *only* "V" is problematic. But when I played the ogg, it was still
all scratched up. (In fact, I decided to keep the wav too, possibly
create a flac, so that I don't have to rerip that track next time I
"upgrade" my rippings from RC3 to Ogg Vorbis 2.0 *drool* <g>)

So the question is, does "e" sometimes mean "scratches"? Or is "e"
"higer priority" than "V" so that if you get an "e" and a "V" at the
same place, it will show the "e" instead of the "V"? I have another one,
from another CD:

Orignally:

06/|\dae/|\ 0.7x [-                   +VV       ]

With the -z switch:

06/|\dae/|\ 0.1x [+                   ++e       ]

Also has many scratches, audible in the final ogg.

What can I do? Is -z therefore not very trustworty? As I keep these
"status bars" so that I can always see how good each of my rips was, and
where there might be quality problems, I find it very important that
they are "correct". Grepping for these "V"'s should show me all my
"scratched oggs".

Last two notes:

jack isn't on the list of cdparanoia using ripper front ends. jack
rules, it's about the only one that does practically everything I want.
You can e.g. do all your cddb lookups afterwards, modify them some other
time, retag, rerip, whatever, and most importantly, *it keeps the
cdparanoia status bars for future reference*. Wheee! ;)

The "buttons" on the paranoia page used for "subscribing":

    <form enctype=text/plain action="mailto:majordomo at xiph.org">
    <b>
    <input type=hidden name="# Paranoia user list" value="subscribe paranoia">
    <input type=submit value="Subscribe to Paranoia user discussion">
    </b>
    </form>

Doesn't it make more sense to have them sent to
paranoia-request at xiph.org? The description made me think all I had to do
was add "subscribe" to the body, while "subscirbe paranoia" is
necessary... does this hidden input type work well with other
browsers/mail clients? (I use konqueror, it fires up kmail, must
probably try to convince it to use mutt some time ;)

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe