[paranoia] one cd causing extreme reading problems

Brian Edmonds brian at gweep.ca
Wed Jan 23 13:54:15 PST 2002

I have one CD that I'm trying to read the tracks from (Roxette,
Tourism), that is almost impossible to complete.  The early tracks on
the disc were reporting + for every space in the progress bar, and
taking a very long time.  The later tracks are taking hours each and
causing significant system performance side effects as well as *many*
transport errors at the end of the track:

 (== PROGRESS == [!++!++++++V++++!+VV++V++++VV!>| 220611 00 ] == :-P 0 ==)
scsi_read error: sector=220629 length=13 retry=0
                 Sense key: 3 ASC: 11 ASCQ: 0
                 Transport error: Medium reading data from medium
                 System error: Input/output error

It frequently goes on to retry once or twice more, sometimes five or
more times.  This is on track 11.  It was doing the same thing on track
10 until I ^C'd it to shut the machin down and go to bed last night.  I
haven't checked yet to see how much I'm missing from the end of the
track.

I've tried this on two ATAPI drives with the same problem, and then
switched to using ide-scsi.  With ATAPI the system was pausing
significantly (seconds at a time).  With ide-scsi it's still jerky, not
so much as to be too frustrating interactively, but enough to cause
major problems for other real-time interfaces (eg. video capture).  Ok,
scratch that, when the errors start occurring as above it's freezing for
a number of seconds at a time.

The disc plays fine in any CD player I've used, and has no obvious
physical damage.  This is with the cdparanoia that comes with SuSE 7.1
(III 9.7).  Just on the off chance -o could solve this I've tried with
-o 10 (and 16 and 32) to no effect.  This, no doubt, reveals to some
that I don't really understand CD ripping tech, which would be accurate.
I'm just an otherwise happy cdparanoia user. :)

Brian.