[paranoia] Old IBM CD-ROM supported?

Naoki Takebayashi ntakebay at bio.indiana.edu
Tue Jan 1 14:26:45 PST 2002

I have an old IBM SCSI CD-Rom drive (it's 2X speed), and having a problem
ripping audio, and I appreciate any help.

I correctly set the permission to /dev/scd0 and /dev/sg0.  Also I tried to
rip the audio as a root (superuser), without any success.

I'm using the version which came with RedHat 7.2 : cdparanoia-alpha9.8-2

The Drive: IBM CDRM00103
SCSI controler: BusLogic Flashpoint LT (BT-950)
Running RedHat 7.2/i386 with redhat kernel: kernel-2.4.9-13.

When I try

# /usr/bin/cdparanoia -v -d /dev/scd0 3-4 "/tmp/track1.wav"

I get this error message:

cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/scd0 for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/scd0 for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/scd0 for SCSI interface
                generic device: /dev/sg0
                ioctl device: /dev/scd0

Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.
Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
        SG interface version 3.1.20; OK.

CDROM model sensed sensed: IBM CDRM00103 1.0g

Checking for SCSI emulation...
        Drive is SCSI

Checking for MMC style command set...
        Drive does not have MMC CDDA support
        DMA scatter/gather table entries: 128
        table entry size: 32768 bytes
        maximum theoretical transfer: 1783 sectors
        Setting default read size to 13 sectors (30576 bytes).

Verifying CDDA command set...
        Could not find any audio tracks on this disk.

Unable to open disc.

I don't think the CD-ROM drive is broken, becuase I bought it recently,
and it can read data CD, and play music without any problems. Actually, I
tried to rip using cdda2wav.  It creates a non-empty file, but it doesn't
have any sounds in it.

Thanks,
Naoki

Naoki Takebayashi     <ntakebay at bio.indiana.edu>
--- Dept. of Biology, Box 90338, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0338