[paranoia] Mis-identified interface

Chad Carr ccarr at franzdoodle.com
Fri Feb 22 07:41:53 PST 2002

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 05:50:50PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> It works fine on my NetBSD/i386 box with an ATAPI drive.  But on a
> NetBSD/sparc box with a SCSI drive, it mis-identifies it as ATAPI and
> proceeds to poke at it and decide it can't do CDDA.  (I don't know
> whether it actually can or not; this note is largely prompted by the
> mis-identification of it as ATAPI.)

Can you force the device by using the -d <device> switch?

> I did note a lack of command-line options to override the interface
> decision; since it's based at least partially on heuristics (witness
> this incorrect guess), this is arguably a Wrong Thing....

-d <device> is what I use on linux.  Also, I think the first thing tried is to
find a /dev/cdrom...

> The drive shows up at boot time as
>
> cd0 at scsibus0 targ 6 lun 0: <SONY, CD-ROM CDU-541, 2.6a> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable

Perhaps make a link from /dev/cdrom to /dev/cd0?

> and here's what cdparanoia -Q -v has to say.
> |
> | Checking for SCSI emulation and transport revision...
> | 	No SG_EMULATED_HOST ioctl(); Checking inquiry command...
> | 	Inquiry bytes: 0x05 0x80 0x02 0x01
> | 	Drive is reporting itself as SCSI-1-CCS, but is
> | 	probably just a buggy/broken ATAPI drive.  Assuming
> | 	ATAPI.

But there may be a larger problem with the SCSI command set; I don't know at
this level...

I wish I could be more help, but I never did this sort of thing when I was a
FreeBSD user.