[paranoia] dae speed on plextor cdrw

Sami Farin safari at iki.fi
Fri Feb 15 16:28:33 PST 2002

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 09:08:00PM -0800, Chad Carr wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 02:32:13AM +0200, Sami Farin wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 12:27:34PM +1300, John Morton wrote:
> > > That said, it's not necessarily the case that the patch will actually speed
> > > up extraction for every drive and system out there, and cdparanoia does it's
> > > magic by doing multiple reads, which will always slow down the proceedings.
> >
> > With PIO, there's some maximum speed limit - for me it's 4 MB/s
> > (and 12 MB/s with UDMA33) when reading from ATA-4 hard disk.
> > So you might not reach ATAPI device's maximum DAE extraction speed
> > when using PIO.
>
> Okay, patched and booted.  Ripping occurred.  Results:
>
> LiteOn LTD163: _exactly_ the same
> Plextor PX-W2410A: nearly _twice_ as slow (64 min cd in 9:50)
>
> What else could I be doing wrong?  Did I mention that I am using ide-scsi?
> Maybe that has something to do with it?

No, I don't think ide-scsi is related to ripping speed.

Can you show "hdparm -i" output for your Plextor and LiteOn
after ripping?
And if you have chipset-specific file (like "piix") at /proc/ide,
can you show it, too...

Have you seen messages "DMA disabled" or anything now that you
use the ide-akpm patch?
Do you get the "old speed" when you disable DMA with hdparm?
And have you played with this jumper?
http://www.plextor.com/english/news/dmajumper.html

I happened to see akpm on IRC and I asked about this Plextor "issue",
he said "with IDE and CDROMs, anything is possible." :)

I don't know if updating firmware makes Plextor any faster for you.
Here are the relevant links, though:
http://www.plextor.be/English/technical/firmware.html#2410A-103
http://www.plextor.be/download/ftp1/W2410A103.zip
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/firmware.html

> > Fastest drive gets 46.1 * 75 * 2352 = 7941 kB/s.
> > http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=daeresults.php3
>
> I don't understand your calculation.  Was mine incorrect?

In one second there are 75 sectors.
Audio (CD-DA) is 2352 bytes per sector.
Data (CD-ROM mode 1) is 2048 bytes per sector.

--
Safari - safari at iki.fi - PGP key 0x427E7914 - http://iki.fi/safari/
  The UNIX Guru's View of Sex: "unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; \