[paranoia] odd cdrom behavior after using cdparanoia

PC^God paranoia at pcgod.info
Mon Dec 30 22:11:13 PST 2002

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > Kernel: 2.4.19-gentoo-r10
>
> This sounds like a kernel bug to me (a hardware failure would probably
> not be fixed by reloading the driver).  2.4.19 and .20 are known to have
> some issues with IDE.  I wonder if "downgrading" to 2.4.18 would be
> helpful.

Well, that didn't quite work. the drive still got screwed up. I probed the
scsi chain using "cdrecord -scanbus" again and it came up with 3 null
strings. I tried unloading and reloading the modules again, and when I
loaded ide-scsi, the system froze for a few seconds. Probing the scsi
chain again provided some garbage data that actually looks like it could
be useful:

csibus0:
   0,0,0     0) 'block ad' 'dress out of ran' 'ge' reserved Storage array

That makes it sound like the driver is following a bad pointer somewhere.
I guess I'll have a look at some kernel changelogs and see if this issue
is resolved there. Thanks for the help

-- PC^God --