[paranoia] unable to rip audio tracks...no clue...

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Mon Dec 2 15:32:35 PST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Ian Pilcher wrote:

> Note though, that ATAPI devices are not "supported" on add-in
> controllers, and I've seen kernel panics when trying to mount a CD-ROM
> in that drive.  I also have a CD-R/W, so I left it attached to the VIA
> controller, and I use the CD-ROM for ripping only.

Sorry for chiming in late, but I feel obliged to correct this
misconception before it spreads.

ATAPI devices absolutely ARE supported using add-in pci IDE contrrollers
on Linux.  They've got exactly the same interface to the rest of the
system as ones on the motherboard; there's often no difference at all.

--
        Peter

"I can imagine a world without war, without hate. I can imagine us
  attacking it, because they'd never expect it."