[paranoia] live albums

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Aug 1 11:15:07 PDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Richard Polton (Richard.Polton at morganstanley.com) wrote:
>
> > Is there a way, in either cdparanoia or ogg vorbis, to encode a live
> > album which has tracks but no gaps between them? Is the only present
> > solution to concatenate all the extracted wav files and then to encode
> > it as a single ogg?
>
> You can't cat wav files together.  But you can tell cdparanoia to rip
> the whole CD into a single wav file.

Not with cat, but there are tools to do that (sox?).

> Or you could rip each track as a separate ogg, give them filenames that
> are easily sort-able (e.g., "01_Title_Goes_Here.ogg"), and then play
> them with something like "ogg123 *.ogg".  This will give you gapless
> playback, and at least in theory you can use SIGINT (^C) to skip to
> the next track -- or, of course, you could just play individual oggs.
>
> Finally, you could rip each track as a separate wav/ogg, and then
> literally cat the oggs together into one giant ogg file.  (Unlike wavs,
> oggs can be catted.)  I don't know of any players that will let you
> skip to the next vorbis stream in a multi-stream ogg file (yet), but at
> least the title display will change when the stream changes -- assuming
> you put comments in them -- and of course it will still be gapless.

The hard part is finding Linux software to do the record of even records
which knows enough to break up the data into files when it find silence
between tracks. There are tools to break up "one big wav file" later, but
it's pretty manual.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc