[paranoia] Insufficiently paranoid? Bad rip w/o errors on Plextor

Jurgen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Sun Apr 21 16:28:51 PDT 2002

I have a Plextor Plexwriter 8/20 (scsi), latest firmware.  Something seems
to be wrong with this drive, or the firmware is buggy... it reads and
writes data CD-ROMs fine, but when ripping it gives incorrect data toward
the end of the disc... although I don't get any errors from paranoia, if
I rip a track on the last 1/4 or so of the disc twice the two output
files will have different data.  They're the same size, but somewhere
around 5-10% of the bytes are different!  For example...

  nova:~$ ls -l test-b-*
  -rw-------    1 jbotz    users    29858684 Apr 21 16:03 test-b-1.wav
  -rw-------    1 jbotz    users    29858684 Apr 21 16:03 test-b-2.wav

  nova:~$ cmp test-b-*
  test-b-1.wav test-b-2.wav differ: char 47, line 1

  nova:~$ cmp -l test-b-*.wav |wc -l
  1618646

  nova:~$ cmp -l test-b-* | head
   553   0   1
   555 367 371
   569 376   6

But paranoia reports no errors!  Enough to make you /really/ paranoid or
what?

This is totally repeatable, with different bytes differing
every time.  Ripping the same track on my Toshiba DVD drive is fine.
Ripping earlier tracks on the drive is fine.

I'm sure at this point that the problem is with the drive, but shouldn't
paranoia be able to detect this sort of thing if it were true to its
name?

:j

--
Jürgen Botz                | While differing widely in the various
jurgen at botz.org            | little bits we know, in our infinite