[paranoia] hidden tracks

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 28 05:29:51 PDT 2001

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Aaron Gage wrote:

> I might have had more success when I first tried this if I'd attempted to
> use a different CD-ROM drive.  The one that I used for the rest of my
> rips identifies itself as ATAPI compatible CREATIVE CD5230E, but attempting
> to read track 0 caused hard lockups.  Using my CD-RW drive, which identifies
> itself as ATAPI compatible CREATIVECD-RW RW121032E, I was able to read off
> the track without further difficulty.
>
> I find it odd that two drives from the same maker would behave differently
> in this regard, but there you go.

I'd bet that the firmware is all that came from Creative, and quite
possibly only the ident string of that. There are a limited number of
actual manufacturers of drives, and I doubt Creative is one of them.

However, since the problem and solution for this type of behaviour is
usually in the firmware, models can and do behave diferently between
models, or even the same model with diferent build dates.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc