[paranoia] Rip-proof cd media

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Thu Mar 29 01:39:27 PST 2001

Jake Hawkes wrote:

> Monty et al:
>
> What is the general consensus about these so-called "rip-proof" CDs?
>
> >From what I've read on /. it seems that CDROM drives differ from pure
> audio drives in that they read all the information on the disk.

/. as a source of knowledge ? uh ...

> Ok, so when you play an audio CD in a CDROM your actually getting more
> from the disk than your average audio player.

No , you are not.

> However, it seems that newer players (and those with shock protection)
> also read the extra information from the disk, and use this to correct
> skips and jitter.

There is no extra information.
But some drives do more effort to correct errors, some less. But they
all operate on the same data.

> It seems therefore that these rip-proof disks will not play in the newer
> players (like diskmans and car stereos).

Then they are not audio CDs.

> Now I will phrase this question carefully, as I think this list is
> archived:
>
> Will cdparanoia be able to access these non-redbook conforming disks so
> that they can be played? Or even re-imaged onto standard cd-media?

Don't know , but it may depend more on the hardware than cdparanoia.

If you can read it ( and I have no idea if you can ),
you can make a (standard CD-DA) copy.

--
David Balazic