[paranoia] I think I've found something cdparanoia can't rip...

DJ Art djart at linux.gr
Thu Mar 15 00:09:35 PST 2001

John Morton wrote:

> I'm guessing this is really a problem with the 2.2.16 ATAPI drivers, but I
> wouldn't know for sure. Anyone have  any clues as to how I can rip this
> track?

Aha, hidden tracks allright :-) I have had a previous experience with
that. And I believe that neither CDparanoia nor Linux nor Windows nor
drivers nor whatever are the actual responsible for the extraction.

The one and only responsible is the CDRom Drive. I have tried to extract
hidden tracks before track1 on various drives. Cdparanoia succeeds if
the drive "can" see the hidden track.

So, don't try to extract the track as track 0 or track -1. Use the
sectors. Specify to start the extraction from sector 0 up to the sectors
of the 1st track. This is the only way to do it.

For instance:

A Samsung 32x could see the hidden track and I could rip it off.
A Delta 52x could see the hidden track, but I tried various methods and
programms to extract the hidden track with no success :(

A Plextor 12x Atapi recorder could not even see that a hidden track
exists.

Also, the same things are for CD-players (all of them, including the
DJ/pro cdplayers). In order to play the hidden track you have to pause
the 1st track and rewind back to the start of the hidden one. Time goes
to -x:yy. Not all players support this technique.

So, to sum up. If you want to rip it off, you have to one of the lucky
guys ;) that their drives support extraction beyond the 1st track :-)

--
DJ Art (aka Kyritsis Athanasios) <djart at hellug.gr>
Studying Electrical & Computer Engineering @ UPatras