[paranoia] splitting sound files?

Dale E Martin dmartin at cliftonlabs.com
Wed Feb 14 05:29:42 PST 2001

> If your head and tail prefer text files then use dd(1).
>
>     dd if=big.raw of=part0.raw bs=1024k skip=0 count=1
>     dd if=big.raw of=part1.raw bs=1024k skip=1 count=1
>     dd if=big.raw of=part2.raw bs=1024k skip=2 count=1
>
> It's simple to put this in a little shell script with a loop that keeps
> going until the whole file's split.

If you prefer something with a GUI, and the capability to listen to what
you're splitting, I've used "xwave" with mixed results in the past.  I used
it once to take a tape I had sampled and split it back into individual
songs.  With such a large .wav file, it crashed on me a couple of times,
and refused to start correctly a couple of times, but eventually I got it
to work.  (If you're using Debian, "apt-get install xwave" should get it
for you.)

Later,
        Dale

--