[paranoia] No generic SCSI device found

Dale E Martin dmartin at cliftonlabs.com
Mon Feb 5 09:22:18 PST 2001

> Dale,
> The 'cd' and 'generic' entries are controlled by the
> sr and sg drivers respectively. If neither driver is
> loaded then that directory (and perhaps a few above
> it) probably won't be there.
>
> The presence of the 'cd' entry tells you that sr is
> loaded/built in and the scsi type of that device is
> "ROM" or "WORM". This makes it a potentially interesting
> device for cdparanoia.

OK, I'll change it to "cd" then.  If the user doesn't have the appropriate
driver loaded, there's nothing that cdparanoia can do about it anyways
other than say "I don't see any drives".

[ snip ]

> Thanks for the code. I plan to enhance my sg_utils package
> with a devfs based scsi scan.

I'll give you the same warning I gave Monty :-) I've tested this code on my
machine, with one IDE-SCSI cdrom rom drive.  It worked fine for me but I
won't pretend like it's been heavily tested or anything.  I also haven't
done a lot of system type C programming (I'm much more adept at C++/Java
application programming) so it's not necessarily what is considered elegant
C code - but you're certainly welcome to it if I haven't scared you yet ;-)

Later,
        Dale

--
Dale E. Martin, Clifton Labs, Inc.