[paranoia] No generic SCSI device found

Jonathan Irwin jmi25 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 4 03:00:21 PST 2001

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Bernie Boudet wrote:

> > If you run cdparanoia as a user, make sure the user belongs to the cdrom
> > group and give rw permissions on /dev/sg0.
>
> Yes this is the problem.  I set group permissions on /dev/sg0 to rw and
> it works now - Thanks.

While this will work, it is quite dangerous if the sg driver can see any
disks:  access to /dev/sg* for users will allow them to read / write /
format any SCSI device attached to the bus (although obviously if they
only have permissions on /dev/sg0 they can only do nasty things to the first
device).  I usually make the cdparanoia binary (and cdrecord, etc.) setuid
to root instead, and only allow root to open /dev/sg*, that reduces the
risk.  I suppose it is OK to leave things as they are for a single user
IDE-only system though.

Jonathan