[paranoia] remove leading/trailing silence

Bernhard Kuemel darsie at gmx.at
Tue Apr 17 17:47:06 PDT 2001

Hi Jason, Chris!

The docs of cdparanoia say that it will not (yet) strip silence
from wavs it ripped and while trying to find a tool that would
strip silence or else making it some people showed up who would
also appreciate such a tool, possibly with some extra
functionality. While researching the wav file format I found that
they are more complex than I initially thought and have some
peculiarities. E.g. there may be chunks with index positions
which I probably should recalculate when stripping leading
silence.

Since you have already implemented much of wav/riff file handling
it would IMO be a rather simple task to add an option for
stripping leading/trailing silence to your tools (normalize,
shntool). I probably would only make a tool that accepts or
handles rather basic wav/riff files properly so making a better
tool with less effort seems a better idea.

Please tell us, what you think about it. In the meantime I will
rather set up my server so it automatically rips, encodes, id3
tags and stores CDs when you only put it into the CD ROM drive.

Thank you, Bernhard