[paranoia] remove leading/trailing silence

Fredrik Mellstrom traal at altavista.net
Mon Apr 9 10:15:01 PDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 04:38:22PM +0200, Bernhard Kuemel wrote:
> I could not find a linux commandline tool that removes
> leading/trailing silence from wav/mp3 files so I started
> programming one for wav files. If there already is one, or an
> option in cdparanoia, please tell me via email.

Oh, neat!  Great idea!  :-)  I don't know of one either, and I've
wanted a batch tool for this a long time, so I'd definitely use
it.  Some thoughts / suggestions:

- Please make it possible to optionally cut off data so that the
  resulting file is a multiple of whole CD audio frames, 2352
  bytes.

- One possible future improvement could be an option to not simply
  strip silence, but to also *add* a small amount of silence and a
  fadein / fadeout, to *really* make sure there are no clicks or
  glitches.

- Just a thought, but perhaps you should submit this functionality
  as a patch to the 'normalize' program?  I mean, having several
  different operations, that all require separate programs with
  their own scanning and modification passes, would be very
  inefficient performance-wise and also kill my hard drive ;-).
  This rather useful volume normalizer can be found at:
  http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~cvaill/normalize/

  It's still not perfect, but it often works well, and it's the
  first unix program I know of that does some sort of batch volume
  compression, without clipping.

Cheers,

traal

--
In /dev/null, noone can hear you stream.