[paranoia] ultra slow cdparanoia 9.7 (1% normal speed)

Udo K. Schuermann walrus at ringlord.com
Sun May 21 20:30:23 PDT 2000

Hi Monty,

I've just run into a bit of a problem with cdparanoia having serious
trouble getting data off one of my new discs. cdparanoia has always
performed quite outstandingly, so I'm wondering if the problem is a
limitation of my (Pioneer) CD-ROM drive or something whacky with the
disc (some newfangled attempt at copy protection, perhaps?)

None of the problems in the FAQ on www.xiph.org seem to be quite on
target, so I thought to check if you've seen this before, or know of
a way to get around the problems I'm having. This message is a little
long (please accept my apologies ahead of time!) but I thought to
supply you with some information on symptoms, just in case.

The disc is Klaus Schulze's 1995 album "In Blue". Disc 1 has a single
track of length 78m 25s. It appears that cdparanoia III release alpha
prerelease 7 (June 28, 1998) is utterly incapable of getting any data
off this disc at all. cdparanoia III release 9.6 (August 17, 1999)
reports "SCSI transport error: timeout waiting to read packet" without
appearing to get anything off the disc at any noticable speed. Only
cdparanoia III 9.7 (December 13, 1999)---the statically linked binary
from your site---manages to sloooowly get things off. It's been TWELVE
HOURS or so and it has only gotten about 80,000 of 353035 sectors
(23%) off the disc. I get a long, long stream of these errors:

SCSI transport error: timeout waiting to read packet

csi_read error: sector=80362 length=13 retry=0
                 Sense key: 0 ASC: 0 ASCQ: 0
                 Transport error: Error reading command from device
                 System error: Success

SCSI transport error: timeout waiting to write packet

csi_read error: sector=80362 length=6 retry=1
                 Sense key: 0 ASC: 0 ASCQ: 0
                 Transport error: Error writing packet command to device
                 System error: Success
scsi_read error: sector=80362 length=13 retry=0
                 Sense key: 0 ASC: 0 ASCQ: 0
                 Transport error: Error reading command from device
                 System error: Success
scsi_read error: sector=80362 length=6 retry=1
                 Sense key: 0 ASC: 0 ASCQ: 0
                 Transport error: Error writing packet command to device
                 System error: Success
Clearing previously returned data from SCSI buffer

SCSI transport error: timeout waiting to read packet

and /var/log/messages contains entries such as these (slartibarfast
is my machine's name)

May 21 22:55:09 slartibartfast kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 3214330, scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 UNKNOWN(0xbe) 04 00 01 39 ea 00 00 0d f8 00 00
May 21 22:55:09 slartibartfast kernel: ncr53c8xx_abort: pid=3214330 serial_number=3214942 serial_number_at_timeout=3214942
May 21 22:55:11 slartibartfast kernel: SCSI host 1 abort (pid 3214330) timed out - resetting
May 21 22:55:11 slartibartfast kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0.
May 21 22:55:11 slartibartfast kernel: ncr53c8xx_reset: pid=3214330 reset_flags=2 serial_number=3214942 serial_number_at_timeout=3214942
May 21 22:55:11 slartibartfast kernel: ncr53c875-0: resetting, command processing suspended for 2 seconds
May 21 22:55:11 slartibartfast kernel: ncr53c875-0: restart (scsi reset).
May 21 22:55:11 slartibartfast kernel: ncr53c875-0: enabling clock multiplier
May 21 22:55:11 slartibartfast kernel: ncr53c875-0: Downloading SCSI SCRIPTS.
May 21 22:55:11 slartibartfast kernel: ncr53c875-0: command processing resumed
May 21 22:55:11 slartibartfast kernel: ncr53c875-0-<6,*>: FAST-20 SCSI 16.0 MB/s (62 ns, offset 16)

For what it's worth the rip is so far successful, and as an audio disc
the drive plays it without trouble. If I ignored the mindnumbing(!)
slowness of the extraction operation I should be none the wiser for
it.

I've also tried the -o option with 2 and with 10 but there is no
noticable change in behavior. As I don't even understand what this
search-overlap really means I'm not sure quite how to apply it aside
from the FAQ's suggestion to "start with 10".

Also, here's the -v info from cdparanoia:

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                generic device: /dev/sg4
                ioctl device: /dev/scd0
                CDROM sensed: PIONEER CD-ROM DR-U06S 1.05

Checking for SCSI emulation and transport revision...
        Drive is SCSI

Checking for MMC style command set...
        Drive is MMC style
Verifying CDDA command set...
        Expected command set reads OK.

Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
        New style SG with scatter/gather memory management
        DMA scatter/gather table entries: 127
        table entry size: 32768 bytes
        maximum theoretical transfer: 1769 sectors
        Setting default read size to 13 sectors (30576 bytes).

Linux kernel is 2.2.14.

Anyway, thank you for your patience reading this far; thank you for
cdparanoia, which has always performed superbly; and also thank you
for any suggestions or hints you can pass my way as to what the
problem may be or how to coax cdparanoia to get data off the drive a
bit faster. I'll be your willing guinea pig if this is a new problem
that needs addressing :-)

-- -
 |_:_|/  http://ringlord.com/  RingLord Technologies: Amiga·Java·Linux