[paranoia] cdparanoia: non-repeatable incorrectable sectors

Wolfgang Weisselberg weissel at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Sun Mar 12 05:41:50 PST 2000

Hi, Monty!

Trying to kill the keyboard, Monty (xiphmont at xiph.org)
produced 2,8K in 70 lines:

> > to my dismay my CDrom decided that it would like to pop up some
> > 'V's every now and then, but not consistently.

> > Unluckily, I still got non-repeatable
> > errors, even when setting cdparanoia to realtime scheduling.

> Realtime scheduling shouldn't affect anything... that's the whole point of
> cdparanoia ;-)

Thought as much, since it's interrupt driven, right?  So we'd
have to move to RT-Linux for realtime interrupts ... :-)

> ATAPI has no command for resetting/clearing out the
> drive and the way to wipe the drive clean is different for different drives.
> Some you need to power cycle, some you need to eject and re-insert, some you
> just need to spin down, etc....

In my case jumping back the odd 100 sectors forces it to do a
short search jump ... which does seem to be enough (and is
faster than spinning down).

> (It's generally not difficult to find somethignt hat works on one drive.  The
> difficulty is not using the new sledgehammer to break all the other drives :-(
> CDROM drives are such a hack...)

A seek should not make things worse (I hope) ... _if_ we can
find our overlap again.

> >                CDROM sensed: LITEON CD-ROM LTN382 WL2A

> Oh dear.

:-)
Ripping speed ... 1.5 X.  Oh well.  I can live with that,
I hope.

> > [2] currently only "[skip]".  Are any other condition (apart
> >     from scratch) able to produce audible defects?

> Yes, '!'; it literally means that it's statistically likely that errors are
> getting through.

Haven't seen much of those, i've put them ([dropped] and
[duped]) into the "do a skip back and retry" list, but they
are very scarse on my CD-Rom.  Out of 5 CDs ripped, I got 100
skips (50 of them on one CD) and one single dupe.  In every
single case the seek had it re-reading the same place without
another failure.

And in the bar I do get almost always "-" (" " are really rare),
sometimes quite a few "V", and the occasional "+".

-Wolfgang