[paranoia] Cyberdrive

Pascal Wolff Pascal.Wolff at gmx.net
Fri Mar 10 02:27:10 PST 2000

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 07:31:18PM +0100, Malte Uhl wrote:
> First of all, I'm not exactly happy with recommendations noone has asked
> for.

Andre asked for one. But I agree, it might look like cheap publicity, that's why I was
reluctant for so long.

> - it noisy as in NOISE

YES ! This seems to be a general problem for many 40+X drives. These things
are definitely too noisy.

> - it is not 100% jitter free
> - when things get rough (scratched cds) the performance detereorates
> rapidly.

Performance as in jitter, or performance as in speed ? In my experience the
latter is certainly true. As for 100% jitter free in rough conditions, the
question is whether this is achievable at all - that's what we have
cdparanoia for. But I stand by my claim that it is jitter free, unless you
have a cd with heavy scratches. It is of course difficlut to see the
difference between scratches with little impact and  the other ones, as for
example the channel coding in the compact disc system makes a big difference
: We have cut a CD from the center to the edge (leaving the first and last
centimeter intact), so you can put a piece of paper through the slice. This
CD plays perfectly.

> The 40x and 48x drives seem to be identical except for
> the speed. The 44x model is a very different beast. It was the 44x that
> performed best of all in this test.

Interesting info. I was not aware of that.

In the rest of your mail you go on to state that you prefer the Plextor
drives, and you have some very good points, for example regarding the
firmware. I never claimed that a Cyberdrive is better that a Plextor, since I don't
even have a newer-Generation Plextor. BUT my point is that, if you are
looking for a cheap IDE drive, go for a Cyberdrive instead of that other
crap that's on the market. The fact that one could even compare this drive
to a Plextor says a lot.

-pascal.

P.S.: I think this is getting OT

Pascal.Wolff at gmx.net